SELLING MORE THAN
0.5L bottles per year
Exported to more than
Andorra United Arab Emirates Albania Argentina Austria Australia Bulgaria Bahrain Brazil Belarus Canada Switzerland Chile China Cyprus Estonia Spain France United Kingdom Georgia Greece Hungary Italy Japan South Korea Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Mexico Namibia Netherlands New Zealand Oman Poland Paraguay Romania Russian Federation Sweden Ukraine USA Uruguay Vietnam Serbia
DAB. THE ORIGINAL BEER.
For more than 140 years it has been brewed in the city of Dortmund. The name DAB originates from the initials of the brewery (Dortmunder Actien-Brauerei) and has represented the world famous Dortmunder beer type ever since.
From the start, DAB beer was not only drunk in Dortmund. In 1868, the city only had 36,000 inhabitants, hardly a large enough market for a major brewery. The company’s beer was soon distributed throughout the newly established German Empire to cities as far afield as Königsberg and Cologne and it was not long before it made its debut on the international scene. In 1879, DAB beer was already being exported to Holland, Belgium, France, India, Japan and Australia.
Export business was very important for DAB from the late 19th century onwards. As time went by, DAB not only became popular throughout Europe but also found enthusiastic customers on all the other continents. The growing worldwide popularity enjoyed by DAB beer was no accident, but the logical consequence of outstanding quality. The pale Dortmund brew, the only beer bottled by DAB for many years, was always produced from the finest ingredients by state-of-the-art brewing processes. In 1881, Prof. Carl Linde himself personally supervised the installation at the DAB brewery of the refrigeration machine he had pioneered.
DAB pale beer broke all records and won worldwide recognition. It was hardly surprising that DAB was overwhelmed with accolades, winning the “Grand Prix” for outstanding quality at the Paris World’s Fairs of 1900 and 1937. For special achievements in brewing, DAB was also awarded the Prussian State Medal, the highest honour then available, at Düsseldorf in 1913.